Individuals who consume alcohol daily should be aware of the side effects. It can lead to mental health problems and liver failure. Hence, individuals who struggle with alcohol withdrawal should seek support and professional help from a psychiatrist in Karachi. The specialist will help them cope with the change and adjust to the new life full of positivity and hope.
Delirium Tremens is a complication of alcohol withdrawal, which causes the person to suffer from intense and sudden changes in mental health. It also affects the nervous system and hinders their overall performance. The person requires immediate medical attention to avoid further physical and psychological health complications.
Symptoms of Delirium Tremens
The person suffering from delirium tremens will exhibit the following symptoms:
- The person remains confused regarding their surroundings and life choices.
- The individual suffers from high blood pressure, which can affect heart health.
- The patient suffers from hallucinations and causing anxiety. Also, it causes restlessness affecting their physical health,
- Caregivers can notice the hand tremors. The patient is more likely to have seizures that can lead to a physical injury and increase the complications.
- The physical changes can lead to anxiety and affect mental health. The person remains agitated and disoriented. They are unable to complete tasks on their own.
- The individual cannot concentrate on a particular task.
- The patient is at a higher risk of suffering from panic attacks, which can worsen the condition.
- The person cannot sleep, causing them to remain lethargic and inactive.
- The caregivers can notice the sweating and shakiness.
- The individual may remain nauseous. It can affect their diet leading to the deterioration of their physical health.
Known Causes of Delirium Tremens
- The causes of Delirium Tremens are:
- The person may have had a head injury while drinking.
- If the person suddenly stops consuming the alcohol, it can lead to delirium tremens. Hence, it is best to limit the intake of alcohol slowly.
- The individual may have an infection in the body while they decide to withdraw alcohol consumption.
- The person should tapper off the consumption of alcohol rather than complete withdrawal.
- The person must try to avoid consuming alcohol daily.
Complications Associated with Delirium Tremens
The complications that correlate with Delirium Tremens include:
- The person suffering from delirium tremens must seek professional help, as the increase in the blood pressure levels can lead to alcohol cardiomyopathy.
- Individuals consuming alcohol for years are at a higher risk of suffering from liver failure and Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.
- The person is more likely to suffer from Peripheral neuropathy without medications.
The tests that help in diagnosing an individual with delirium tremens are:
- Psychological Assessment: The specialist will conduct a psychological assessment to notice the changes in the cognitive and perceptions. It will help in understanding that the person has difficulty concentrating. Also, it will help evaluate the severity of the condition.
- Physical Examination: The physical examination will help assess the severity of the condition by checking the hand tremors.
- Echocardiogram: The blood pressure can affect the electrical activity and cause a hindrance in the function of the organ. Hence, the test will help detect the severity of the condition.
Effective Treatment Options
The treatment options for an individual suffering from delirium tremens are:
- Rehabilitation: The person suffering from the condition due to sudden withdrawal should opt for rehabilitation. It will help them remain calm and avoid complications.
- Use of Anticonvulsants: The patient suffering from seizures and tremors takes anticonvulsants to manage the symptoms.
- Use of Sedatives: The person who remains lethargic due to lack of sleep takes sedatives.
- Use of Benzodiazepines: The medications help manage anxiety and stress. Also, they help in controlling nerve activity.
Individuals who exhibit symptoms of delirium tremens must consult a competent and reliable specialist at Fauji Foundation Hospital. The specialist will conduct tests to detect the illness and its cause. Additionally, the doctor will provide guidance regarding the most effective and latest treatment for smooth recovery without further complications.