Gothic style is one of the most famous and influential styles in the world of fashion. The theme is always black and dark. The fashion style is neutral, that is it is homogeneous in nature. This fashion style is bold and expressive. It is mysterious and creates a sense of spookiness. Gothic dresses are always in dark and bold colours. They are of different types and styles. They make you look bold, confident and mysterious. Jordash clothing is an online store where you will get different gothic dresses like gothic trousers, gothic skirts, gothic blouses and other gothic clothes and accessories like gothic cape, gothic jewelleries, gothic showpieces and so on.
Gothic fashion has its origin from the goth subculture. In order to understand gothic fashion, we first need to understand the goth subculture. The origin of goth subculture dates back to the middle ages. The goth subculture got its inspiration from the European gothic architecture that rose into prominence between the 13th to 16th century. This period saw the rise of gothic buildings that gave a spooky and eerie vibe. These old buildings still exist today. They are mysteriously tall. Their windows are tall, the spires give a spooky vibe and the pointed arches give a ghastly feeling.
Getting inspiration from these creepy buildings, many writers started adding gothic themes and feelings to their works. The characters of these works are mysterious and the scenes and the events are dark and uncanny. During the late 1700s, a new genre of fiction emerged called gothic fiction. This genre combines the themes of dark romanticism and horror.
Gothic fashion however rose to prominence in the late 1970’s and the early 1980’s with the rise of punk rock bands. Their dressing style includes gothic dresses like gothic skirts, gothic blouses, gothic trousers, gothic gowns and so on. The band would stick to the gothic themes of my
stery, loneliness and gloominess. The dresses were black and the makeup was bold and expressive.
The gothic fashion of the early 1980’s is a combination of romanticism of the Victorian era and the punk aesthetics. The style gives a bold, rebellious and expressive look. It is dark themed. The makeup includes pale skin, kohled eyes and bold lipsticks. The makeup has got its influence from the Victorian standards. Apart from makeup, graceful and long dresses and corsets with tight laces are also the influences from the Victorian era. On the other hand, punk rock band groups preferred wearing leather jackets, spooky accessories and dark and bold makeup. So the goth fashion of the 1980’s is a combination of both.
Today gothic fashion is bold but includes minimal accessories. The dresses are in dark colours like black, red, maroon, burgundy and so on. The makeup is simple and minimal but bold. The dresses such as gothic gowns and gothic skirts are comfortable, breezy and flowy. The jewelleries and other accessories are simple and minimal. Body piercing and tattoos are given more importance.
Other dresses in gothic fashion are leather jackets, midi dresses, long robes, corsets, fishnets, gothic trousers, gothic blouses, etc, all in dark and bold colours. The fabrics generally include satin, velvet, silk, net and laces.
Types of Goth Fashion
- Traditional Goth: It emerged in the 1980’s. It is also known as the trad goth. The style is classic and traditional. The clothes are black in colour. They wear leather boots. The makeup includes pale skin, dark smoky eyes and bold lips. Other accessories include the occult pieces of jewelleries and fishnets. The hairstyle is massive and wild.
- Haute Goth: This style is highly creative and highly imaginative. The clothes are influenced by the style of the Victorian era. The clothes include ball gowns and corsets. It also includes Victorian style hats. The makeup is dark and expressive.
- Death Rock: It is another type of gothic fashion. It includes the general gothic elements, but with these elements, it combines horror. The Death rock hairstyles are called Deathhawk and mohawks. It includes clothes such as skin fit jeans and leather jackets. The makeup includes pale skin, dark eyes and dark lips.
- Corporate Goth: This goth style is also known as corp goth. The style is formal as found in the workplace. It is less expressive and less dramatic. It is bold and minimal. The clothes are mostly formals like gothic trousers, dresses, suits and shirts. The makeup is minimal. And the hairstyle is not dramatic.
- Gothic Lolita: This style is a combination of black gothic fashion and Japanese kawaii. It includes clothes like flowy dresses with lace, bows, ruffles and frills. The getup is dark but innocent. The hairstyles include space buns and pigtails. The style also includes shoes with buckles and knee length socks.
Goth fashion is always stylish and trendy. It gives you a bold and dramatic look. It is spooky and mysterious. With different gothic dresses like gothic skirts, gothic trousers and gothic blouses and bold and expressive makeup, you definitely will look expressive and confident and mysterious at the same time.