Firstly, the question in anyone’s mind is what does one mean by photochromic lenses and how is it different from normal lenses. While exposed to direct sunlight or Ultraviolet radiation, photochromic lenses darkened to a glass’s shade and reverted to clarity when inside and distant from UV radiation. Photochromic lenses, sometimes known as transition or react lights, are a mixture of lens elements, comprising plastic, glass, and polycarbonate. They are commonly used as eyeglasses that convert from a clean lens inside to an eyeglasses depth shade when outside, and opposite. They usually take about 30 seconds to completely darken plus 2 to 5 minutes to recover to clear. In the 2022 eyeglasses trend chart, photochromic lenses are toping it.
Temperature Dependence of Photochromic Lenses:
Photochromic lenses move in the opposite direction through a heat and chemical process that is influenced/limited by a phenomenon known as ‘temperature dependency.’
A photochromic lens is incapable of achieving complete eyeglasses shade in intense heat, and it can only obtain a 95 percent tint.
Benefits of photochromic lenses
- Cost savings – purchasing a decent pair of dual-function photochromic glasses that provide sight for both indoors and outdoors when clean is much more economically efficient than purchasing two separate ones.
- Ease – Rather than having to turn between two sets of conventional glasses and shades, users only need a single set of sunglasses for both inside and outside in the sunlight.
- Eye Health – Limiting your contact with the harmful rays of the sun will reduce your chances of cataracts and other maturity-level eye disorders.
Disadvantages of photochromic lenses
- Time to react- Even though the response time of a camera lens from clarity to sunglasses is relatively swift, often within 30 – 60 seconds, the reverse takes a bit longer, approximately 5 minutes depending on the temperature of the lenses, which could be hazardous if enter a darkened room or at the very least annoying.
- Driving – Because the windscreen blocks the Ultraviolet light required to activate the chemical reaction that causes the lenses to darken, conventional photochromic lenses need not function inside a car.
- Scratch-free- These glasses are not scratch-free one has to learn how to remove scratches from glasses.
Can photochromic lenses assist you to drive better?
Photochromic lenses provide practically flawless protection from bright sunshine and harmful UV rays, as well as make driving a little safer.
People often only think about wearing eyeglasses when the sun is directly overhead, because, by the time they learn they need to exchange their prescribed eyeglasses for spectacles, they may be stopped at a light, crossing roads, or rushing down the freeway.
You may await the seconds for the photochromic lenses to dim to avoid rummaging through your possessions for prescribed eyeglasses while driving.
Even if the photochromic lenses do not darken in overcast weather, you can be confident that your eyesight is being shielded from harmful UV radiation.
Driving and vision
Drivers must wear sunglasses or have photochromic lenses.
The sun might make it difficult to see the posted limit, road signs, and work zones. Even though the beam of light does not directly contact your vision, the sun’s reflection on the bright surfaces of nearby cars can be overwhelming.
Unlike spectacles or photochromic lenses, the sun’s dazzling brilliance and damaging UV radiation endanger your eye’s overall health.
Can photochromic lenses make night driving safer?
Photochromic lenses are not useful when driving at night. Light-adapted lenses generally shield the eyes from sunlight, Ultraviolet radiation, and blue light. They do not operate inside under artificial or false lighting or at night when headlights and lamps are present.
Night blindness is distinguished by a mass effect glare around an incandescent lamp. This is typically caused by the development of presbyopia, which stiffens the eye lenses and alters the capacity to concentrate on close objects.
The best technique to remedy night blindness and enhance night driving is to determine whether presbyopia is a significant issue and, if so, fix it along with vision correction or another method recommended by your eye specialist.
Additionally photochromic lenses to the progressive lenses for seeing well at all ranges and shield yourself from intense sunlight, Ultraviolet radiation, and dangerous blue light when on your computer and phone.
Transitions or Photochromic Lenses are a terrific method to protect your eyes, perhaps save money, and add some convenience to your routine, but for some, they will be cumbersome or insufficient, making them unsuitable for purchase.
It is ultimately up to you to determine whether photochromic lenses will help you, but please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any additional information or guidance.